[OM] forest fires and missile photography

Subject: [OM] forest fires and missile photography
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:22:58 -0500
Cc: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
As some of you know, I occasionally get to photograph the test launches of a
certain air defense missile system.  I was preparing to leave for New Mexico
on Monday for the next one, but it has been postponed.  Postponements are no
surprise in this business.  However, you may be surprised by why.  Forest
fire danger.  No kidding.  The danger level throughout the western 2/3 of
New Mexico is rated "Very High."  So the Forest Service won't let the Army
launch a target missile from northern New Mexico and deposit a smoking first
stage booster in the drop zone up in the mountains just north of the Very
Large Array.  The Forest Service guys have been very testy since the Los
Alamos thing last year.  Wouldn't budge even when the Army offered to have a
tanked up slurry bomber standing by idling on the ground at Holloman AFB.

So, I'm hanging on to Tom Scales' loaned 24/2.8 a bit longer while we wait
for rain in New Mexico.  I'll be shooting two OMs remotely, both with 24s.
The good news is that the rainy season starts in July.  Bad news is that the
rainy season in New Mexico often produces more lightning than rain.  The
last time this happened we waited for three months for rain.  Any authentic
medicine men on the List?

Regards,
Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://members.home.com/garyetx/