[OM] Re: Collectible OM-3 condition

Subject: [OM] Re: Collectible OM-3 condition
From: "Dr. Oben Candemir" <dunya.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:09:21 +1000

We all agree that the OM-1 is a fine mechanical camera, and mechanical
cameras are getting 'rare', no? Let's look at the OM-1.

OM-1 Price- 1974 -  $192
OM-1n Price- 1982 - $159
OM-1 (Mint) Price- 2001- (eBay)  $150 - $180

OM-3Ti (I know, it's Titanium) Price- 2001 -  $1500

I have no idea what an OM-3 will be worth in 20 years, but I sure as hell
ain't buying them up as an investment. See my point? There are many many
better choices for collectors to collect, than OMs!

George S.

Well George,

I think you have to think about it a bit more. The OM-1 and OM-3 are different creatures. The OM-1 was bought in the hundreds of thousands. The OM-3 was only made for four years 1983-1986. It was available when the cheaper OM-1N was also available. So it wasn't the first mechanical OM that people would have thought of at the time. So in actual fact the time period it was sold together with the fact that not many were sold makes it instantly rarer.

Most Olympus bodies have serial numbers starting in the 1000000 series. My OM-3 has serial number 100358x. If that was the last produced that would make less than 4000 of these in existence. Maybe all OM-3 owners can look at their serial number and see who has the highest body number on the list... that will give you an idea of how many of these were made.

Add to this that many of the 3's bought were probably by pro's who used them day in day out.... reduces the number in pristine condition. Add to that the attrition that time brings and I think that in 20 years (I'll be 50, middle aged) it will be quite nice to have an OM-3 in mint condition. I don't doubt that there will be others in less good condition. I speak for myself... I love the camera as an object as well as a picture taking device. If all I wanted was to take pictures I could get a Konica or Kodak disposable... so could you.... and you wouldn't even have to worry about collecting it...

Sincerely
Oben