Re: Collectible OM-3 condition-> was [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical orelectro

Subject: Re: Collectible OM-3 condition-> was [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical orelectronic s...
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:58:03 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

<SNIP>

> Yes, of course I agree, but understand what I was referencing- 'collecting'
> with reference to the item's 'value'. If owning 6 bodies pleases you, fine!
> Do you NEED 6 bodies- no!

Of course you are right, I do not need to have photography as a
hobby/side-job atall, hence I do not strictly need any cameras. However
considering that I do have that, then I do actually need 6 (really, I do
need 7, but I make do) not to have technicalities of the gear come in the
way of taking pictures.

> We all agree that the OM-1 is a fine mechanical camera, and mechanical
> cameras are getting 'rare', no? Let's look at the OM-1.
>
> OM-1 Price- 1974 -  $192
> OM-1n Price- 1982 - $159
> OM-1 (Mint) Price- 2001- (eBay)  $150 - $180
>
> OM-3Ti (I know, it's Titanium) Price- 2001 -  $1500
>
> I have no idea what an OM-3 will be worth in 20 years, but I sure as hell
> ain't buying them up as an investment. See my point? There are many many
> better choices for collectors to collect, than OMs!

Somehow, I doubt that financial gain is the purpose of "collectors". I'd
call anyone buying OM-gear for financial gain an "investor" (which, imo,
is just as ok), not a collector.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering