[OM] 35-80/2.8: Distortion at 35mm

Subject: [OM] 35-80/2.8: Distortion at 35mm
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:11:30 -0000
Hi,

A $200,000 Ferrari can do things a $20,000 car can't.

Naaaah, both get you from A to B, the Ferrari might just get you there faster ;))) Actually, in terms of versatility I would bet your run-of-the-mill $20,000 car would have the edge; think in terms of space for luggage etc. :)

However, I still haven't seen results which prove the Zuiko 35-80/2.8 has capabilities that make the lens unique and therefore worth the money in some cases. But, if somebody can show me a picture which proves the Zuiko 35-80/2.8 makes better pictures than other zooms, I would alter my opinion and may be even would buy the lens.

I'm not saying my 35-80/2.8 will give better pictures than your Tokina ATX 35-70/2.8 (or other comparable zooms), it may or may not do so. Anyway, none of my tests were driven by the motivation to see if the 35-80/2.8 performs better than other zooms. I think it's well established that apart from the distortion, the 35-80/2.8 is an excellent and fast zoom lens, for me that's enough motivation to use it. If, at present, I would have to splash out the cash for such a zoom, rather than being able to pay for one in labour, I might also have decided to choose a cheaper 3rd party zoom like your Tokina, or more likely: I would just have stuck to the 35-70/3.6 which I already have. But, as mentioned, such is (and was) not the case, and I'm happy with my zoom and so far have never feared using it at 35mm either (really, the distortion is not THAT bad either ;) ), but the distortion is obviously a flaw, so just like other lens flaws like flare etc. it's good to know about them and know when perhaps to use a workaround (although I doubt I'd often switch to the 35/2.8 Shift purely for these purposes)...

(Olaf, we will exchange some slides sooner or later and compare; je hebt ook nog een biertje van me te goed immers ;-)

Goed idee, zo'n 500mm Grolschje gaat er wel in! ;)

C-ya!
Olafo