RE: [OM] 35-80/2.8: Distortion at 35mm

Subject: RE: [OM] 35-80/2.8: Distortion at 35mm
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:40:50 +1000
Olaf wrote:

> The Manfrotto tripod I used has 4 levels incorporated in it. Out
> of these 4,
> 3 of them are featured in the head, and these are the ones I used for
> leveling the camera. I cannot be 100ertain that the camera itself was
> absolutely level then, but as this is a $400-$500 tripod, I guess
> (hope) I
> came close enough. Actually I'm glad I could borrow this tripod for this

May be "close enough" but for critical work I know that when the spirit
levels in my Manfrotto head indicate level, the camera (mounted using a Hex
QR plate) is not.  I attribute this to the fact that the head & QR plate are
castings, the important part of the head has been machined but not the QR
plate and that the cushioning on the QR plate probably isn't parallel with
the top of the plate.

...Wayne