Re: [OM] Pricing

Subject: Re: [OM] Pricing
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:55:15 -0500
Cc: <mikekilpatrick@xxxxxxxxx>
Mike,

Since I'm the local Austin guy, at least I'd guess, then let me offer that I
would be happy to help you -- and would never consider asking for a part of
the sale.   That said, I think you're on the right track. You need a couple
things - first, some good pictures of what you want to sell. Almost any
digital camera is good enough; we're not making art.  Second you need a good
accurate description of what you're selling.

Once you have both of those, build a webpage -- a free one is fine, like
geocities. Doesn't have to be fancy, just item, description, price and
pictures and post the link here.  See if anyone wants to buy it -- avoiding
ebay completely. Encourage everyone to let you know if your pricing is
off-base (privately, of course).  You'll get a lot of feedback preparing you
for your eventual ebay-ing.

After that, you have everything you need to go to ebay.  There are really
only two questions more that you need to answer to go to ebay.  The first is
starting price -- too high, nobody bids; too low, you might lose out.  The
second is reserve. I've starting doing all my auctions, except the really
expensive stuff, as no reserve auctions. Start your auction at about 500f
what you want and keep your fingers crossed that people bid. Let's face it,
it is a crapshoot.

Lastly, I can't claim that my auctions are very good, but I don't think they
are really bad. Search on ebay for id tscales and you'll see a bunch of OM
auctions to at least see how I do it.

Good luck!

Tom