Re: [OM] Macro Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Questions
From: "Scott Nelson" <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:24:50 -0400
It's not that significant a factor. What is significant is the concept that you
"get the same magnification" at different standoffs using a 50 and a 90 or 135,
while technically correct, this does NOT produce the same image on film. Have
you ever seen those tests where a subject is shot at the same image size using
short, medium tele, and long teles? The subject's relation to the background is
dramatically different. Shooting macro with a long lens not only gives you
working distance, it throws the background more out of focus, an effect you may
want given the tendency for distracting elements to sneak in and detract from
macro field work. Also, consider working distance's effect not only on
disturbing and shadowing the subject, but also on flash.  I once again suggest
consulting John Shaw's *Close-ups In Nature* as a seminal work which
demonstrates the use of lenses up to 300mm for macro work.

>>> dunya.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx 19:02:46 05/23/2001 >>>
John,

Correct me if I am wrong; but I feel that the increased standoff distance
at the same magification would increase the effect of camera shake. The
reason being that the same amount of "angular" movement of the camera
translates to a greater linear distance when the subject is further away.
To see what I mean draw a triangle with the same angle.... the height
increases the longer the base is.

So using a 90mm f2 at 0.5x and a 50mm f2 at 0.5x gives you different
standoffs... but my reasoning would say that the 50mm f2 has less camera
shake effect than the 90.

Your views?