RE: [OM] Macro Questions

Subject: RE: [OM] Macro Questions
From: Acer V <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 20:38:02 -0700
5/22/01 8:32:20 PM, "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>My biggest complaint with using the 50mm f-3.5 Macro for flowers is the
>difficulty of blurring the background with the 3.5 aperture. Some of my best
>floral stuff was done with a f-1.8 or f-1.4 with a 2x extender. Using the
>extender the minimum focusing distance stays about the same but the
>magnification doubles. The larger maximum aperture lets you do more with the
>depth of field control. I have all three of the macro lenses Tom mentions
>and also really like the 90mm f-2. I guess it's time to do some comparative
>testing of the same subject with the three macros and the normal 50mm +
>2X.... just as soon as I get around to it. Could also put a 2X on the 55mm
>f-1.2.....but where will it all end. A Sima Soft Focus lens also does some
>nice things for flower pictures.  /jnm

well it depends on the kind of macro work. from above it sounds like you're not
going very close to the flower, otherwise the max aperture is
really only for focussing ease. Once you get into the single digit reproduction
ratios, dof is very very tight, with max aperture you can't capture
any detail, but you'll get a nice smoothie of color.