Re: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff
From: "Clint Spesert" <clint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:17:34 -0700
I worked on a cruise ship in Alaska (about 8 years ago) and spent quite a few
cruises finding cool places to photograph.

1. Ketchican:  The best place I saw to try to get photos of bald eagles was the
garbage dump.  The eagles are carrion eaters and they nest close by the dump.
Hint: I had the best breakfasts at the Ketchican Cafe, its downtown on the
second floor of a building.

2. Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier.  Take a trip out there if you can, truly
impressive. If the salmon are running, the mouth of the Juneau River has all
sorts of salmon stranded in small pools during low tide.

3. Skagway:  Try to get around the point to Dyea.  Dyea was the trailhead of
the Chilcoot trail to the Yukon.  There are still some ruins and follow the
chilcoot trail a ways into the rainforest.

4. Glacier Bay:  Lens selection is tough.  There is so much to see and it it so
wide that a WA lens just makes everything look small.  Use the longest lens you
have to maybe get some bear pictures.  Also, the Puffins flock near the base of
the glaciers.  We never really got too close to the glaciers, maybe about
1/4-1/2 mile offshore.

I'll have to look through my Alaska pic and see if there is anything else I can
think of.

Clint Spesert