Re: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff
From: M Jennings <mrjlmj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:42:48 -0400
Bill,

Plenty of wildlife to see, particularly in the Red Dog Saloon.  I
wouldn't count on seeing bears or moose from the cruise ship but
everything else you should see, including orcas, eagles, and humpbacks.
Bring rain-proof clothing because you'll spending most of the time on
deck taking photos and it almost always rains in Southeast, doesn't
pour, but is a misty rain.  Speaking of misty, if you have the option
for a side trip to Misty Fjords, thats worth signing up for.  In
Skagway, if you have time, ride the White Pass and Yukon Railroad up and
over the pass into the Klondike region.  Spectacular views from a
narrow-guage steam locomotive.  The best bear viewing is probably via a
side-trip offered from Juneau or Ketchikan to a small salmon stream or
to somewhere on Admiralty Island, where there are more bears per square
mile than anywhere else on earth.  Watch for numerous old lighthouses,
some abandonned along the shore, others on islands in the channel.
There are also old gold mines above Juneau to explore as well as
helicopter flights to Mendenhall Glacier.  Best kept secret:  Thane's
Ore House in Juneau.  Go there for dinner for a real Alaskan experience
and unbelievable food.  Just be prepared for some damp weather.  Next
year, you'll want to do an overland trip.

Mark Jennings