Re: [OM] My first OM-1! Thanks everyone

Subject: Re: [OM] My first OM-1! Thanks everyone
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:08:24 +0000
At 19:52 5/17/01, Dirk Wright wrote:

>I started with digital photography, ..... I craved more...so I started a 3
>month long research project into manual SLRs.

This has to be a first. Chris has moved backwards in technology and has found
it *more* rewarding. Most people move in the opposite direction, from film to
digital. Bravo Chris!
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright

I just did an inventory of my camera gear.  The KISS principle rules!
All six bodies are manual focus; four of the six are manual exposure _only_; three of these four have mechanical shutters. Hadn't thought about it much until reading this and started looking at the gear. Keeping it to the basics also keeps everything under photographer control. operating in that mode seems natural and anything else seems "out of control." I don't think I'm that much alone in this, am I?

For a "completely retro" experience, try a 1930's - 1950's era 35mm rangefinder made before the era of the SLR began with the Nikon F in 1959. To do it right, it must have a knob winder and if it does have a meter, it must not be coupled to the lens aperture setting or shutter speed.

Footnote:
The "Nikon F" wasn't the first 35mm SLR, but it was the one that turned 35mm format on its ear and sounded the "death knell" for the 35mm RF as king of the format.

-- John