[OM] My first OM-1! Thanks everyone

Subject: [OM] My first OM-1! Thanks everyone
From: Chris Stinson <music4free@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:51:52 -0600

Over the past few months I've been researching different cameras, trying to make an informed decision as to which to buy. I was always partial to Olympus because all my digital cameras are Olympus, and, frankly, compared to Nikon, cannon and Fuji digital cameras, they win hands down.

Some people tried to tell me "oh, the OM line is going down, etc, etc...blah blah blah," but really, you have all the lenses and bodies you need available to you. Better yet, you can find a lot of them second hand, so, that's even better! Why spend twice as much on an automatic Nikon, when you can spend half as much on a *real* manual camera and save even more on zuiko lenses?

Seems crazy to me. Besides, my new OM collection is small, so, if, lets say...(this won't happen) I *don't* like the OM cameras, I can just sell them at a very minimal loss and go buy a more expensive, plastic wonderbrick that allows me to take great photos with the click of a button, and gives me absolutely no satisfaction on a job well done (hehe).

I started with digital photography, started with a digital point and shoot, and, frustrated by parallax cameras (always had something in front of the lens which i couldn't see in the viewfinder :) I moved to a digital SLR which gave me much more manual control. I craved more...so I started a 3 month long research project into manual SLRs.

I was caught between the older Nikon and Olympus models. I finally chose the OM-1 because it is truly the back-to-basics camera. If you take a great picture with an OM-1...it's the photographer, if you take a lowsy picture...it's the shake from the mirror (no no, it's the photographer, still).

I made sure that everything was perfect in the camera before I bought it...it truly is in excellent shape. I can see a refoaming in the next two years or so, simply because the foam is looking matted (not crumbly or gooey yet).

I'm going to jasper in a week, Boston and Houston in a month, and Europe in a year...so, I'm going to be taking a whole lot of pictures, and I'll start posting them too.

I couldn't have made a purchase like this without the thousands of messages going through this list in the past few months, I've read almost every message and absorbed all the knowledge possible.

Thanks again all,

Chris (the newest Zuikoholic, also from Edmonton)