Re: [OM] Finally Got Some Photos on the Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Finally Got Some Photos on the Web
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 16 May 2001, Scott Nelson wrote:

> I have to respectfully disagree, LZW is notorious for actually making TIFF
> files BIGGER.

I fail to see how LZW can possibly make an uncompressed tiff file (basically
a raw bitmap) larger.  Perhaps if the scan contained random noise it might
be true, but most of our images are more cohesive than that :-)  I just did
a simple test, I took the front page of one of my brochure scans and saved
it as uncompressed and lzw compressed tiff files using Photoshop.  Uncomprssed
the tiff file is 24028K, with LZW that drops down to 13588K.  This amount of
reduction is typically what I see.
                                -mark