Re: [OM] Motor drive for multiple slide originals

Subject: Re: [OM] Motor drive for multiple slide originals
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
>> There is another use for 'stock' photographers
>>One I knew would shoot several images of everything
>>so that he could sell exclusive use of an image and
>>still have several very similar images to sell. A
>>case of having ones cake and eating it too!

>Well, I certainly have an ethical problem with that.
>And I would have an economic
>complaint if I were one of the customers paying
>(extra) for exclusive rights!
>I hope this is not a widespread practice....

It is and it isn't.  First of all, you don't last too
long as a viable stock photographer if you screw the
wrong client just once. For top tier publications they
will request exclusive usage of the photo AND
similars. It is understood that photographers do shoot
dupes and similars, so the contract usually covers the
similars. Second and third tier publications usually
don't pay enough to justify the exclusive on the
similars so it is up to the photographer or stock
photo agency to police themselves as to what is a dupe
and what is a similar.

It is not unusual for me to shoot a real "winner" of a
composition in multiples both horizontal and vertical.
Oh, and with different lenses, bodies, films,
lighting, etc.,  One particular shot I used nearly 150
frames.

Ken N.