RE: [OM] Flaring Fifties

Subject: RE: [OM] Flaring Fifties
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:23:48 -0600
At 12:46 PM 5/15/2001 -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>>That is for a new lens.  Fortunately, used lenses cost much less.
>>
>>It is often cheaper to buy new Olympus equipment from the USA and pay
>>shipping, import duty, VAT (sales tax) and the Post Office handling charge
>>than to buy new in the UK.
>>
>>Alan Wood
>

>It is too weird with the differences.  Olympus is much more expensive in
>England, but Mamiya is much more expensive in the US. Is it due to the
>importing organizations?

Certainly possible.  The Canadian importer of Olympus seemed bound and
determined to guarantee that the OM System was priced out of the market, and in
large part they succeeded, IMNSHO.  That's why everyone I know into Oly in
Canada has ordered new from B&H in New York for the last 20 years or so.  Even
the used prices here are quite, uh, challenging to the pocketbook...

Garth