Re: [OM] Motor drive for multiple slide originals

Subject: Re: [OM] Motor drive for multiple slide originals
From: "Scott Nelson" <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:49:02 -0400
This IS a very common practice. There are several reasons why stock photogs
take "in camera" dupes. As discussed, it allows you to sell exclusive rights to
essentially the same image to multiple clients. There is an unwritten law that
you only do this to clients in dissimilar markets. The second reason is that
it's much cheaper than having a publication-grade dupe made. Finally, you have
a backup when a publisher loses or damages your irreplaceable original.

+================+
Lyin like a lion in Zion.

AndrewF wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 12:20:38 +1000

> There is another use for 'stock' photographers. One I knew would shoot
> several images of everything so that he could sell exclusive use of an
> image and still have several very similar images to sell. A case of having
> ones cake and eating it too!

Well, I certainly have an ethical problem with that.
And I would have an economic
complaint if I were one of the customers paying (extra) for exclusive rights!
I hope this is not a widespread practice....

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page:
        http://logos.uoregon.edu/uoling/faculty/pederson/pederson.html