Re: [OM] Gary's lens test... blur

Subject: Re: [OM] Gary's lens test... blur
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 00:02:37 +0200
On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 05:56:40PM -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:
> >On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 11:34:26AM -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Sorry, Frieder. I misunderstood.  I thought you took the pictures,
> but I just saw the credit to Photographie. I think there is enough
> not known to raise questions about this phenomenon. The question was
> raised by the fellow on the railroad site only with motor drives.

Yes` Ive seen the railroad site, which remembered me to the article.
> am not sure whether this photo is a motor drive photo or manually
> wound. Is it because the drive is not correctly tensioning the film
> until after the second frame pushing excess film so that there is a
> curl over the pressure plate.
No there is no curl, it is just because the film doesn`t  lie flat enough
over the pressure plate, because it was `mishandled` just before the usage.
It is only relevant when you have small D.O.F - his picture locks like a tele
shot.

> The photo indicates that there
> actually is a set in the film. Is that created because of the
> practice of tensioning of the film in the canister, either manually
> or with a motor?  Is it something that only occurs near the end of
> the roll when the angle between the last few frames on the spool form
> an acute angle with the film slot?  How long does it take to take a
> set? A year? A week?  I still don't think it would occur near the
> beginning of the roll when there is little or no angle between the
> outside layer of film on the spool and the film slot on the cassette.

Windsor, Now I think I´ll really dissapoint you. All I have is the information
from the Article from 1981. And most of the information is on my webpage.
They write, that it takes about two weeks to make the kink strong enough in the
film.
But this may depend a lot from the the climate and other circumstances.
It is also interesting that they write that this problem was well known in the
industry and widely discussed among the manufactueres on the Photokina 1980,
but until 1981 there were no solutions, ...
It seem it depends a lot on the way the film-patron is located in the camera.
I´ve never obsered this problem in my photographic work - Maybe I should get a
good loupe?
My guess is that using a motor-drive, which tensions the film makes the
situation
more worse. Because then the film is sitting harder on the edge. - I don`t like
winder
at all.
Now I´m glad not having a N*k*n F5, though this camera seems to
be really troubled as describes on the website. <G>

Frieder Faig