Re: [OM] Re: Working Distance (was "85/2 vs 90/2")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Working Distance (was "85/2 vs 90/2")
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 13:02:16 +0000
At 17:01 5/8/01, Frieder Faig wrote:
While working with my spreadsheed, it occours more questions than answers.
The real focus lenght might differ about +/- 5%.
 And a lens isn`t a ideal thin lens. When you calculate macro-distances this
diffrences values matters.

As theoretical ideal 135mm my spreadsheed gives the following values :
        Auto-Macro-Tubus max. extension (58mm):
                Distance to film: 64.2 cm
                working distance: 42.4 cm
                lenght of equipment 22.0 cm

Now I´ve made some measurements:
For the 135mm /F 4.5 Macro I've meassued the following:
        Auto-Macro-Tubus max. extension (58mm):
                Distance to film: 61.0 cm
                working distance: 39.2cm
                lenght of equipment 22.0 cm
        with additional extension tubes 7,14,and 25 (105mm):
                Distance to film: 53.6 cm
                working distance: 27.0cm
                lenght of equipment 26.7 cm

Though the 135mm isn`t a thin lens, this values are hard to guess.
The best guess is 126mm real focal lenght and 26mm distance between priciple planes
(dt. Hauptebenenabstand?).

Does somebody know the real values?

I started a spreadsheet last night. Pulled data from the eSIF files realizing all of these (including focal length) are approximate values: minimum field width (at closest focus; probably rounded to nearest centimeter) and minimum focus distance (probably rounded to nearest decimeter). Still working it and plan to employ "fuzzy logic" to reconcile differences using one or two of them to calculate other values that can derived several different ways using the data from the eSIF. It's one of the reasons any results would be approximate; the eSIF data for each lens is approximate and not consistent enough as a set for highly accurate results.

-- John