[OM] Canoe trip equipment

Subject: [OM] Canoe trip equipment
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:21:00 -0700 (PDT)
I agree that's a large package and vulnerable to wet. I can't see why you
want the 90mm lens if you could bring the 80 macro and teletube for
example.  Not sure what the flash is for either, I can't imagine fill
flash being that important.

If you are serious about wildlife photography, you have two main options
that I can see:

1) photograph from the canoe, in which case you want a tripod set up in
the canoe with something like the 300mm/2x lens on it. Remember the
canoe is moving, so you still need fast shutter speeds. About
1/2 of what you can use handheld if the water is calm and you haven't
paddled for a minute. I wished I had set up this way watching an eagle
dive into/onto the water near my canoe in the Bowren Lakes Provincial Park
to come up with an enormous trout. On the other hand, I might have been
so busy with the camera that I would have seen nothing!

2) photograph predusk in a blind, in which case you want some camo cloth
and rods (something to keep the mosquitos off you while you sit there
too!) and that long lens you are embarrassed to mention. I have no
experience here, but I'm sure the info is easy to find.

Neither of these options are consistent with your anticipated "hard days".
So you might think about forgetting about serious wildlife work and
focussing on quiet macro and landscape work. This means you leave the
MD/winders behind too! Take a table of reciprocity failure for your films
if you don't know them by heart. This could substitute for the T28 for
many shots....

Don't take any recommendations on film. Take what you already know and like.
Experiment with new films at home. Two bodies seems the right number...

Be sure your companions are happy about you taking pictures while they
wearily set up camp, cook, clean up, etc....

Lastly, have a great trip! I'm envious as I last made such a trip nearly a
decade ago....

> [mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
>   Subject: [OM] HELP: what should I take !?!?!
>
>   Okay, so we will be canoeing from lake to lake and portaging between lakes
>   when the water ends.  I've set route that will require pretty hard days,
> so
>   it will be important to keep the weight to minimum.  On the other hand,
>   canoes provide an opportunity to splurge on the gear side, at least more
> than
>   backpacking.
>   What I am trying to do now is ration the space in my LowePro Mini Trekker.
>   Here is what I am planning on taking in the bag (these items will be
> pretty
>   inaccessible while traveling during the day):
>   300mm/4.5 mounted on 4T with MD1
>   90mm/2 macro
>   80mm/4 macro mounted on tele auto tube 65-116
>   1.4xA and 2xA stacked together
>   T-28 Twin w/ T-power
>   F280

Eric Pederson