[OM] Definitive Focus Screen Clean - AMAZING

Subject: [OM] Definitive Focus Screen Clean - AMAZING
From: "Oben Candemir" <dunya@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:22:08 +1000
WOW!!

I am rarely this excited by something so simple, but the original posting
regarding the cleaning of focussing screens has absolutely changed my view of
the world as I see it through my OM 1, OM 2 and OM 4 Ti, and two other
focussing screens I have (a 1-1 and a 1-6). My cameras are like they were new
out of the box in terms of viewfinder clarity. The difference cannot be stated
in words.

I was hesitant at first as I too like Chris had "cleaned" a screen with a lens
cloth some while ago and found numerous fine scratches as well as residues on
the prism that were then impossible to clean off even with a high pressure hose
that I used!

Well, after that posting about cleaning screens, I decided to try the detergent
plus water method of cleaning the "ruined" screen that I had kept (the 1-6
screen BTW); have a look at the result and then if there was no detrimental
effects to repeat the experiment by cleaning the other spare 1-13 screen I had
that was quite dusty and dirty (from blowing off dust with an air jet from my
mouth had resulted in spittle stains after drying!).

I used the soap in the bathroom (a soft soap formulation that has a pump pack,
it even has moisturiser with Aloe Vera and Jojoba!!). I used only tap water.
After wetting the screen on both sides I applied a little of the detergent to
my thumb and forefinger and used my index finger very gently on the screen
using side to side actions including the microprism area. I did this for approx
2 mins on each side. I then washed both sides with tap water only. The screens
are very "un-wettable" (hydrophobic) and the water rolls off easily. I took any
excess water from the edges by wiping the edge on the back of my hand. I then
air dried the screen by carefully blowing the water away. I did not use any
distilled water.

After drying I installed that "ruined" screen into my oldest OM 1. I was amazed
that the screen despite the fine scratches and dust before was now like new. It
was incredible. The microprism had ZERO dust and the focus area was amazingly
clean with no eveidence of the scratches at all.

I repeated the procedure on my 1-13 screen. Again the same brilliant result.
Depth of field still works. There is no stains or drying spots, there is
absolutely no dust at all. I used to find that using the little brush would
cause static electricity and new dust would appear when I reinstalled the
screen. After the detergent and water method the screen was spotless.

The results were so good, I removed all the foccussing screens from my OM
bodies and cleaned those too. I literally have three new cameras now in terms
of my viewfinder image.

I recommend this technique to anyone with a dirty screen or who is tired of
looking at those bits of dust in the viewfinder. Thankyou to the poster of the
original detergent post.

Happy snapping,
Oben