Re: [OM] Photoshop replacement

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop replacement
From: davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Thatcher)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:04:45 +0930 (CST)
Ya gotta love that FreeBSD unix , five and six hundred days of uptime,
only about 300 MB of HDD space to run a fully functional system, & all
on some PC hardware that is too feeble to run Win95. zadmittedly you
might want a little bit more disk space & a bit more grunt to run gimp!!
My M$win machine can barely stand 2 days of uptime before so much memory
has leaked that it is useless because it spends all it's time in disk
swaps... (oh dear, another of those PC/MAC/Unix threads, sorry guys...)

Still, I should learn how to use gimp properly, I installed it, &
having used MS Paint & then the shareware Paintshop Pro, whilst it
wasn't completely instinctive I was up & running, editing & drawing in
half an hour or so... It has some good tools, though the method of
selecting colours is a bit alien to me.

If you can't afford one of the others, I'd say give it a shot... it's
avialable for Linux, MacOS X & there is an OS/2 port coming, it
currently is a bit green for Win32 but is available at Tor Lillqvist's
site (I suggest you read the disclaimers before downlaoding):
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//

good luck,
DavidT
South Australia