[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2360

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2360
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:14:34 +1000
Kelton wrote:

> I really envy you folks that do well with superwides. I wish I could get
> the hang of them. For me, my 21 is probably my least used lens (and it is
> my widest); but that's because of a lack of talent rather than dislike of
> the lens. I dunno why I have such difficulties with wides; I rarely get
> what I want. I try to fill the foreground with interesting objects and
> colors but the results are usually disappointing. Advice would be
> appreciated. Additionally, my problems with the 21 might be 1) prints are
> not large enough, so the background looks too small--perhaps should
> switch to slides; 2) I live in LA and it's hard to get a WA shot without
> something ugly in the photo. My best shots these days come from the
> 35-100 range. (That said, I really SHOULD get an 85.)

I reckon it's a genetic thing... you're either a wide-angle person or
you're not. Me, I'm a wide guy. My fave lens was the 21mm. I've used
buth the f2 and f3.5 and the images are great from both, but the f2 is a
dream to focus and use in low-ish available light.

As far as using wides, don't try to "fill the foreground with
interesting objects and colors" it never works for me. Instead, just get
as close to your subject as you can, then take another step forward:
really fill the frame with it. With wide lenses like the 21mm you really
have to get close-up and personal with your subject to make the most of
the lens' potential. If you don't, it hardly looks different from a a
28mm except everything is smaller, which just looks crappy.

So next time you have the 21mm out, forget about the foreground -- just
get *really* close and fill the frame with the subject, be it a rock or
statue or whatever.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vaughanb/images/bal04-350.jpg
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vaughanb/images/tas02-350.jpg
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vaughanb/images/tas03-350.jpg