Re: [OM] Re:Scanning for TOPE Display

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:Scanning for TOPE Display
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:19:16 +0000
At 04:24 4/18/01, Dave Dougherty wrote:
What scan rate are most using for TOPE?  If I scan a photo at much over
100dpi it is too large to see on screen.  I am still pretty ignorant as to
how to overcome this issue, but when I look at some of the new photos in TOPE
5 I am jealous.  I am especially struck by how sharp #22 is.  My submission
is as sharp in the original photo, but loses something in the scanning.  Any
input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave Dougherty

Dave,
Mine was done from a Kodak Photo CD created by a pro lab. Scans are done from the film (in most cases transparency) and the pixel dimensions are 3072 X 2048 . . . for a 4x6 print that translates to 512 dpi on a flatbed. Last step after adjusting contrast and color balance from the scan to bring it back to the transparency is a combination of sharpening using an "unsharp mask" algorithm, resizing to 639x426 pixels (if it's still a 3:2 aspect ratio) using a smoothing algorithm, and then sharpening again using an "unsharp mask." The level of sharpening done the second time depends on how sharp the image is following the resizing.

-- John