Re: [OM] Unknown Wide Zoom Oly Mount

Subject: Re: [OM] Unknown Wide Zoom Oly Mount
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:12:45 +1000
>At 19:57 3/3/01, Rich Lahrson inquired:
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1218162461
>>
>>Hi,
>>There are five of these on German eBay.  Any comments?
>>
>>Rich Lahrson
>
>These are Euroline lenses made by Exakta in OM mount.  The text pretty much
>describes the lenses . . . 14 element, 18-28mm f/4~4.5, 72mm filter ring,
>metal and glass with no plastic.  Focuses down to 50 cm with some form of
>close focusing adjustment or compensation for the 50cm to 5m range.  Cannot
>say anything about how good they are compared to the OM's as I've never
>used one or seen any reviews on them.  Don't know where it's actually made
>either.
>
>Exakta and Exa are the names of a noted German camera line by Ihagee (the
>phonetic pronounciation of IHG, the initials of Industrie und
>Handelsgesellschaft).  Company was founded in 1912, and based in Dresden it
>ended up East German after the war.  The Ihagee Kine-Exakta of 1936 is
>credited with being the world's first single lens reflex using 35mm
>film.  The company's founder, Johan Steenbergen, originally from the
>Netherlands and Jewish, fled to the U.S. during WWII (his wife was a U.S.
>citizen).  Although he later attempted to regain his company, and then
>established his own in West Germany, it was never successful.  A tragic
>story with some parallels to the original CEO and management genius of
>Zeiss Ikon, who was also Jewish and was forced to flee in the mid-1930's.
>
>-- John

Unfortunately, this type of German heritage is no longer a guarantee of
quality. There are Carl Zeiss, Jena lenses around now of questionable
quality and the sudden flood of Exacta branded lenses after IHG has been
dormant for so long should breed suspicion - anyone could buy the name.
Yashica/Kyocera produces Zeiss, Cosina produces Voigtlander, Samsung's got
Schneider, Minolta produces some Leica, I'm certain, and I don't know who
makes the Minox CD112 I gave to my sister. And who's making all those
little Rollei Prego's? My Contax G1 and Leica CL are EXCELLENT products,
especially optically, but the lineage has diffused.
AndrewF