Re: [OM] Vivitar 283 battery holder

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 283 battery holder
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 17:07:59 +0000
At 16:12 4/8/01, Ben Melton wrote:
Adorama has them for $8.95 and KEH has them for $6.95, but beware of
KEH.  I ordered two of them from KEH last month.  The cost for the
battery holders was $12.90, and the cost for shipping was$12.95 (UPS
ground).
The two holders, in their boxes, weighed a total of 1.0 ounces.  I
protested by e-mail, and KEH didn't even bother to answer.

Ben Melton

Wonder where you had them shipped to . . .

I've never had a shipping cost that high from KEH. There is a legitimate *minimum* shipping charge because the overhead for pulling and packaging is the same whether it's a $2 lens cap or a $900 lens . . . and UPS has a minimum shipping charge by ground. It's why I don't order low ticket items by themselves from KEH or B&H, which also has a minimum shipping.

If it's something small and light, neither UPS nor FEDEX are a cost effective method of shipping. A small one pound (or less) box going 50 miles from my home to Indianapolis is just under $5 by UPS ground.

One of the reasons KEH uses UPS, and B&H uses FEDEX, is apparently a reliable delivery confirmation system (although tracking all the handling en-route is can sometimes be spotty). Sadly, there _are_ people in this world who will receive things and then claim they haven't.

-- John