Re: [OM] Hans site

Subject: Re: [OM] Hans site
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:44:37 +0200
: Then again, once we all get the CD, we can each create our own site and
: somebody keep a running list of active and inactive e-SIFs.

No you "can't", because one of *my* "Terms Of Service" when you buy the CD is
that you shall not copy & resell, or *republish* it. The reason for this last is
very simple: the eSIF is not a dead history e-book, but is continuously updated.
New manuals and more info may be added, "new" units may be discovered. One main
site and one mirror is all I can handle and should be enough.

Thanks also for those who offered to mirror the eSIF on their own private
servers; I'm a bit reluctant to do that since a server that depends on only one
person will be less reliable (in terms of continuity).

Btw, I've not given up hopes that nbci will reconsider. If indeed disc space was
the problem then I can setup a new semi-mirror without the manuals and with a
smaller portfolio. If there were files they did not like or suspect of copyright
violation I can remove them (if only they tell me which). There's also a big
chance that because of its size my site caught their attention, that they
inspected it superficially and concluded it was a commercial site, like an
Olympus shop (its title might lead to confusion, but on several places on the
site it is explained).

I got a new reply from nbci:

We have forwarded your information to the TOS departmrnt for review.

Thanks,

Paul
Support Team
NBC Internet

Original message follows:
-------------------------

This is all very vague; I'm still looking for specific reasons why my
website
http://members.nbci.com/veluwen was terminated. Were there any files
that
violated the terms of service (in which case I could remove them, if I'm
told
which files they were), or was my site consuming too much disk space?
Xoom
promised unlimited disk space...

My site took me 1 year to write, is world's largest database site
dedicated to
one specific Single Lens Reflex Camera system (Olympus OM) and has
almost 200
visitors every day from all over the world. It is completely
non-commercial; I'm
not sponsored by anyone; I don't sell anything and I don't make any
other form
of money from it.

Hans van Veluwen
The Netherlands

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello Hans,

A portion of the Terms of Service agreement that every individual agrees
to before being granted a Member name and web space is given below:

NBCi shall be the final arbiter of what may be posted on the Storage
Services. NBCi reserves the right to modify or remove any material
submitted to or posted on the NBCi Site, and to cancel at any time any
membership in the Storage Services or the Service generally without
prior notice. NBCi is not obligated to maintain back-up copies of any
material submitted to or posted on the Service, including the Storage
Services.

Please reply to this e-mail if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Paul
Support Team
NBC Internet

Original message follows:
-------------------------

: Content located within your account has been found to be in violation
of
: the NBCi Terms of Service. As such, your account has been locked out.

Can you please specify which file(s) is/were in violation with the terms
of
service, and why, so that they can be removed. Also how can I remove the
files
when my account is locked?

hnz