Re: [OM] [OT] Postage charged by UK eBay sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Postage charged by UK eBay sellers
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:27:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> What
> has surprised me is the inconsistency of postage requested by US sellers
> (apart from some dealers and their 'handling' fees, a whole new level of
> added profit margin!) Thus, one day I'll get quite a large 'small packet'
> with a $1.70 stamp on it and the next a smaller packet with a $6 stamp on
> it - this happened last week.

You have to be somewhat careful when someone in the US mails a small package
to an international destination.  For packages under 4lbs (1.8kg), they can
be sent using parcel post or letter post.  The difference in rates is
significant!  A 4lb parcel post item sent to Canada is $15.11 whereas the
same package sent via letter post is $9.28.  Many sellers don't use the
letter post rate since they assume that it's for letters only.
                                        -mark