Re: [OM] Goodbye=I see the confusion now=Privacey issue is all

Subject: Re: [OM] Goodbye=I see the confusion now=Privacey issue is all
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:13:10 -0700
On 31 Mar 2001, at 17:09, Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My only point was that someone was putting it under one supposed non
> member's name and tracking his running $ buys AS A WHOLE and then throws
> his name in a heading on the list and then takes open questions about
> "what was he thinking"? I say that was way out of line.  Privacy issues.

What privacy issue???  "Privacy" means that something that started in
private stays private.  Like, for instance, something between your
physician (or lawyer, or priest) and yourself.

E-Bay auctions are conducted in public.  Anyone who wants to can look
at an auction, the bidding history, and the seller's (and sellers')
feedback profile, and their previous auctions (or at least the ones that
resulted in feedback).  That's NOT what I would call a "private"
transaction!

Yes, you can argue that someone *may* have been a little unkind to
bktools in their comments (although I don't personally see it that way), I
don't see how you can argue that they invaded his privacy?

If e-Bay REALLY wanted to protect people's privacy, ALL e-Bay
auctions would be "private auctions" where nobody can see who's bid,
and only the seller and successful buyer know who each other are.
Since e-Bay does have that capability....  see the recent auction of
Jimi's guitar...  why don't they just make that the ONLY way to conduct
business on e-Bay?

By the way, since we're on the topic of e-Bay and privacy, I find it *very*
ironic that they hassle a member in-good-standing for collecting
member information from members whom freely *volunteered* it knowing
it was going to be published (thereby "consenting" to that happening).
And, yet, e-Bay does NOT appear to be doing ANYTHING about all the
spam I've been getting ever since I became active on their site.  Just
today, I've had the good fortune of learning how to:

1.  Expand my penis size;
2.  Remortgage the house that I don't own;
3.  Get free money from the US government (I live in Canada); and
4.  Make $50,000 a year at home without lifting a finger.

THANK YOU, e-Bay, for protecting MY privacy!!!

'Nuff said!

Regards,

Chris

---