Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:11:33 -0500
> >I just want you guys to know that this thread has been fascinating.

> "Whan that Aprille with its shoures sote,
> The droghte of Merch hath perced to the rote,..."

Now *that's* Middle English, Chaucer in the 1390's, after the language had
been transformed by French.  The blending of the Germanic language of the
Anglo-Saxons and the French of William I's Normans brought an interesting
change, didn't it?  I agree with Edward: this has been an interesting
digression for an old English major and teacher.
JohnP
PS  Edward, you'll find the period from 1066 to Shakespeare just as
interesting, if not moreso.
JP