Re: [OM] XA or Epic?

Subject: Re: [OM] XA or Epic?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:17:02 -0800
Hi John,

I own both a Rollei 35s and an XA. the XA is faster and easier to use. The
Auto mode works well and it is easy to open and close the clamshell.  There is
some light falloff on the edges of the lens as has been discussed here. I
don't notice it on my sample when shooting print film, but with slides it is
noticeable at times. Still the thing takes wonderful photos and often times I
can't tell the difference between XA and OM shots with the same focal length
lens. The rangefinder can be difficult to under low light or low contrast
situations.

The Rollei is also a wonderful camera, very well built all metal and all
manual. The 40 mm lens does not have the falloff problems of the XA and is of
EXCELLENT quality, but the camera is much more 'fiddly' to use. It is manual
exposure and the meter is on top of the camera, so you have to take your eye
away from the viewfinder to set exposure. The real pain is pushing the button
to release the lens and pulling it out in order to take the photo. NOt a super
hassle, but not as quick as the XA. I use both a fair amount, but of the two
the XA gets the most use.

John Pendley wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I'm thinking of buying a small rangefinder, small enough to carry in my
> shirt pocket.  I know this has been discussed before, but I guess I wasn't
> paying much attention ;>{.  My choices seem to have narrowed to the Epic
> (fixed lens, not zoom), the XA, and the Rol*ei 35 S or SE.  I'd appreciate
> your thoughts.
> Regards,
> John P

Jim Couch