[OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital.

Subject: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital.
From: drchrisbarrett <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:35:55 +0000
Tom Scales wrote:

"The only area I would challenge is the size of the CCD to match 35mm
resolution.  I use a film scanner, a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000, which
results
in approximately 5500x3500 pixels. (50+ MB TIFF files)  Surely drum
scanners
produce even larger image sizes.

It's a minor quibble, but I do think a larger CCD is necessary to match
35mm."

I thought hard about the resolution vs. size. I'm happy to concede that
we need more pixels, but it doesn't necessarily mean a bigger area of
silicon.

My calulation assumed a 10micron pixel size. Leaving aside problems of
extra noise and higher failure rate, it may be possible to do a 3micron
pixel size, giving 6000x4500. Is that big enough for you?

But I still think they'd be doing it on the same size silicon device,
because the cost goes up tremendously the less chips you get from the
raw silicon wafer. Bear in mind that computer CPU chips have been
incresing in complexity, but are still only about 1/2" square.

And doing that leads to the concept of such dinky little lenses.

And which of us could resist them?

Chris