Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital.

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital.
From: Alasdair Mackintosh <alasdair.mackintosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Mar 2001 14:01:12 +0000
Cc: Olympus List <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
drchrisbarrett <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You're right it is a red herring, but the reason they don't cover the
> whole area is not because of shallow angle rays. My colleagues tell me
> that the CCD structure can image all of the rays that a 35mm lens can
> produce, which you'll see from my table are really not that shallow.
>
> I think the reason is cost. A digital back for medium format is aimed at
> a market that can probably pay much more. My bet is that such a unit
> would be many thousands of £. In the 35mm market, even high res 1/2" CCD
> systems such as the Nikon are currently very much more expensive than
> the equivalent film based body.
>
> Silicon area just costs a lot.

True. And the cost of etching the letters 'P' 'r' and 'o' onto the side of
something costs even more. ;-)

I guess there's only one way to sort this out. Apparently, Sinar produce a
digital back which you can attach to various medium format cameras, as well
as to a Sinar 4x5. It's only about the size of a 35mm negative, but when
you mount it onto a 4x5 view camera you can move the back around to capture
various parts of the image area.

I think we need to buy one of these digital backs, and try some
experiments, in which we capture images from the edge of the circle of,
say, a 90mm Super Angulon. Fortunately, Sinar have a special promotion at
the moment, so you can buy a digital back for a mere US$16,000. If you'd
all like to send me some money, I'll be happy to perform the experiment.

Alasdair