[OM] Why Olympus won't produce a digital body

Subject: [OM] Why Olympus won't produce a digital body
From: drchrisbarrett <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:35:47 +0000
Dear Mr Ling (sorry I don't know the best way to address you),

C.H.Ling wrote:

"> 1 I have successfully used a Nikkor 105mm Macro lens with a 600x400
> element CCD camera.

Sorry I'm not an expert, but you are talking about your Nikkor 105 on
600x400 CCD!? what is the size of your CCD? 1/2 inch or less? it just
use the very small center area of the lens and the pixel count is
extremely small.

I think you better say Fuji S1-Pro also use normal Nikon lens without
many complain from the users.

> 2 Video cameras use much shorter lens to film distances with their
zoom
> lenses which would give more oblique angles than the equivalent 35mm
> lenses.

How do you know the Video cameras are not having special designed
perpendicular lens? Okay even not, the pixel count is too small to
worry and the quality requirement of video just can't compare with
high res still pictures.

Your point about the Nikkor 105 on a 1/2" CCD is valid. It will only
image the central portion of the image.

However, its is not the core of my argument:

Even in this case, the 1/2" CCD images rays emerging from the whole of
the rear element of the lens (but obviously not all since some fall
outside its area). I don't know what the rear element diameter is, but
it will be large enough to give similar angles to those in my table.

I don't know what you mean by a specially designed perpendicular lens
for a video CCD. With the lens to CCD distances they use on video
cameras, and the f numbers they obtain, they must be using largish rear
elements relatively close to the CCD. The onlt way to "design" a lens to
give almost perpndicular rays at the CCD is to design it with a very
small rear element a long way from the CCD plane.

If non perpendicular rays are a fundamental problem with the Fuji
Finepix, then the same effect of color shifts across the image will also
occur with a video chip. The resolution of the chip is not an factor.

Hope this helps.

Chris