Re: [OM] Night shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Night shots
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:28:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, ASHTON B.R. (179806) wrote:

> What I would really like to know is how the exposure is calculated. I have
> read in magazines and they say the exposure time and aparture next to night
> photos. How are these calculated though? I know that the max time on an OM10
> is 1sec (i think) so I will have to time it with a watch on B mode, yea?

A few suggestions from me:

1) Take an exposure reading with the lens wide open then stop down &
recalculate the exposure time for the actual photo - even at dusk you
could get something like 1/4s at F/2 (=1s at f/4, 4s at f/8 etc)

2) Get hold of a lightmeter that works in low light.

For those two methods, you might need to know about the reciprocity
failure of the film (details can often be found on the manufacturer's
web site somewhere).

3) Use the iterative method - guess, look at the results and try again
until it comes out right.  Needs lots of short rolls of film, several
nights and a strict regime for note-taking.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |