Re: [OM] Macro capabilities of long zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro capabilities of long zooms
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:13:24 -0800
The reason for a long macro lens is to increase working distance and to
narrow the background field of view, both usefull for nature photography.
The problem with a 50 macro or 50 with tubes, bellows, ect is that the
working distance is very close, fine for photos of coins, stamps, ect but a
real pain for outdoor/nature use. The 85/2 with tubes works fairly well,
but you still don't have a lot of working distance. also in order to get to
a 1:1 magnification you need a LOT of extension necesitating either the
bellow unit or the adjustable extension tube. Aslo by the time you add that
much extension you really don't have any more light to work with than most
long macro lenses.

One problem with many 'macro' zooms is that they don't really get you all
that much magnification, especially those that don't macro focus at the
long end.

Ideally what I would like is a fixed focal length macro in the 150-200mm
range. Does anyone know of a macro lens available in OM mount in this
range?

I routinly use a tube on the 35-70 3.5-4.5 lens and it works well for it's
range. It does make for a great compact backpacking setup. That lens and a
couple of extension tubes is light, compact, and performs well.

Jim Couch

Mike Lazzari wrote:

> Here's some questions/thoughts. Please comment.
>
> Is this a feature at the expense of overall performance?
> Are the results any good?
> Seems like they are too slow/dark viewfinder to focus accurately.
> Why would you want a 300 macro? Seems like 135 would be plenty.
> Wouldn't a 50 macro+tube or 85/2+tube, etc. be better?
> Or even a tube on any close focusing lens. (Maybe I ought to experiment
> with the 35-70/3.5-4.5)
>
> As you can see I'm a little dubious of the value of this feature.
>
> Mike

Jim Couch
Tacoma, WA USA