Re: [OM] great lens test site... (Nikon)

Subject: Re: [OM] great lens test site... (Nikon)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:05:11 -0400

Bruce Hamm wrote:

> What I would find useful in such a site would be a head to head comparison
> between zuikos with the same focal length. That is to say, there might be
> some mechanism in place to allow those familiar with say, all of the
> different versions of the 35mm (f2,f2.8,f3.5) to be able to rate one against
> the others. In photographyreview, you simply rely on the overall rating
> which in most cases isn't very helpful. Upon reviewing the comments provided
> for the lenses, you ususally end up with the standard 'great lens', 'fine
> lens', or 'I've been really happy with this lens', which are all fine,
> except when both lenses you are trying to compare have similar comments. If
> you could include the means to compare these lenses against one another I
> think you would have a real winner.

Hmmm, definately a good idea here. Implementing it could raise some
issues though. I have a couple of ideas on how I could prompt for the
info but haven't figured out that data model for the database to store
that data. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. User goes to site and reviews the 28mm 2.8 he is just prompted for an
overall rating and comments (I think this is good because the overall
rating is usually the most meaningful rating anyways).

2. User returns later because he has made great cash sacrifices to the
Olympus gods and now has a 28mm 2.0. The system already knows that he's
reviewed the 35mm 2.8 so it could now prompt him for an overall rating
for the 28mm 2.0 as well as a series of comparative ratings comparing it
with the 2.8. This could get useful because a lot of the broken down
ratings make more sense if you put them into the context of comparing
them to something. For instance, a lot of lens review sites as for a
value rating. Well, compared to what? Other lenses at the same lengths,
other brands, lenses in general? I think a better way to do it could be
to have a value rating comparing the 2.8 and the 2.0, which one wins (in
the reviewers opinion) and by what degree. Similar ratings like size,
weight, optics, and build quality could then be very useful to. This way
you could put something in like the 28mm 2.0 loses in value, size and
weight (I'm just making this up here) but wins out in terms of optics
and build quality. Plus, I could easily do up the math to tell you how
many stops faster the lens is and include that as a rating.

Later on the same user could come back and put in a review for the 28mm
3.5 (filling out the Zuiko collection) and be prompted to compare it to
the other 2. So you could maybe get results like the 3.5 is
significantly worse than the 2.0 in terms of optics and build quality
but is much better value, weight, and size. Whereas, compared to the
2.8, it might not have many advantages.

Like I said, I can see how this could really be useful. I just need to
figure out now how the best way to implement it in the database would
be. If I can pull it off, I think it would definately be a neat feature.

> Thanks for offering to do such an undertaking Andrew!

No problem, it's something I can offer the Olympus community. Plus it
does allow me to do up a neat web site that I could then use for
demonstrating my web design skills to potential clients.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx