Re: [OM] OM40

Subject: Re: [OM] OM40
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:51:20 EST

I wrote:

> > As such, those
> > double-digit 'beaters' are to be avoided.
> coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I think "to be avoided" is a bit strong, but I'd agree if you said "Great
> caution should be used when buying ANY 'beater' camera."  I don't care if
> it's a single or double digit body, if it's obvously been dropped or
> otherwise physically abused, there's a higher chance that there's hidden
> problems.  Of course, that's not to say that ALL 'beater' bodies are
> busted, just as it's not right to assume that a body that looks 'mint' does
> *not* contain hidden problems.

Well, I was, of course, speaking "in general terms" I can't speak for every
body the buyer is considering, but the 'consumer' 'beaters' I'd certainly
avoid unless you were getting it from your uncle. Or, if he was getting a
liberal "try it and return it if you're not satisfied" policy from the store.
'Beater' OM-1s, yes, take a chance. 'beater' OM-10s or PCs, I wouldn't bother.

George S.