Re: Sv: Sv: Sv: [OM] OM-2n at EI 1600??

Subject: Re: Sv: Sv: Sv: [OM] OM-2n at EI 1600??
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:19:49 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Bernd Moeller wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> I use to take a full frame metering with my OM 2 turning the frame
> away from any strong light sources, in particular the faces of
> spotlights. Then I turn the camera on maual mode and transfer the
> value previously seen in auto mode to the manual exposure setting.
> That's a little complicated, but it works.

Never tried that one.  Mind you, when I started in this game my usual
venue (Students' Union building, Warwick University) had quite a good
light set up which was usually operated very, erm, dynamically so there
wouldn't usually have been enough time.  Sticking to manual and guessing
a compensation factor seemed to work best.

> Sometimes i seek to get a
> musicians' head between the light souce and the camera and just
> underexpose one aperture. Thereby I get a kind of corona effect, with
> the face of the musician still properly exposed.

Something like this?
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/music/pics/is22.jpg

This was much easier on account of it being late afternoon at an outdoor
festival, mind you.

> Question to OM4 users: have you ever tired the shadow/highlight
> function in light conditions as these?

Not yet, but then I haven't had an OM4 for very long.  I'll probably
stick to spotted auto with compensation for now though.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |