[OM] A different interpretation of Zuiko

Subject: [OM] A different interpretation of Zuiko
From: "Francois Rossi" <f.rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:34:43 -0000
In my serach for info and manual relating to the Chrome Six, I have been in
contact with a few enthousiasts from Japan (who do not have any manual
either) and one of them made an interesting remark which I though I could
share.

Hans's site mentions that "The trade name Zuiko that was used for
photographic lenses has a dual meaning; it was invented as an abbreviation
of the name of Olympus' optical plant: Mizuho Kogaku-kenkyujo, but it is
also an existing ancient Chinese word that means 'light showing a sign of
auspicious events'. A free translation could be 'golden light'.".

And my Japanese contact (talking about the Chrome Six IIIB) said "This lens
named "Zuiko" is an excellent lens. Zuiko meaning "Wonderful View" in old
Japanese. It says that the precision was equal to Biotar of Zeiss.".

So, what do you all think about this new interpretation? Or is there a
definitive explanation which I have not yet come accross?

Francois Rossi