Re: [OM] Older Battery Eating OM 4's? Serial Nos.

Subject: Re: [OM] Older Battery Eating OM 4's? Serial Nos.
From: imagineer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:28:09 -0600
I got <delete>-happy, so missed some of this thread! Sorry!

One of Mr. Maitani's design perameters was that a professional-quality
camera must always be functional from the moment it's picked up.  Hence,
you won't see a shutter-release lock on his designs -- losing a frame by
careless accident is a minor inconvenience to a professional, but losing
a once-in-a-lifetime shot because the camera is "locked" or "off" could
be a disaster.  For example, note how the OM-2 and 2n operate in a
limited "Auto" function even when in the "OFF" position.  (I know --
there's the OM-77/707.  But I DID say "professional-quality".... ;^)

To allow the OM-4, OM-PC, OM-2s, etc. to be functional at any time, it
was necessary to design the camera so that portions of the circuitry
were active at all times -- ergo, the relatively minute current drain
seen on these later generation models, with spot metering, LCD displays,
etc.

If the normal 12 month battery life of a camera that's seldom used is a
problem, seems to me the most economical solution is just to remove the
batteries.  (One can buy quite a few batteries for the time/cost/effort
of modifing the camera, not to mention the reduction in value it's
likely to suffer from such alterations.  Plus it's a good idea to remove
the batteries from any device when stored for an extended period --
batteries _do_ leak!)

But, yes, I'm sure it's possible to adapt a "power" switch in series
with the battery's lead -- there's precious little extra space inside,
but I'm sure it could be done!  Perhaps a pressure switch underneath the
leatherette so that the camera is activated when picked up, with a
by-pass so that the camera could be used on a tripod....