Re: [OM] biking with an OM

Subject: Re: [OM] biking with an OM
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:23:10 -0000
Woops, getting in a bit late on this one (wife's birthday yesterday...)

I toured bits of France with spare lenses in the top of my onside pannier,
with the OM1n and 50/1.8 on a camera strap around my shoulder and head, so
that it dangled fairly close to my chest as I rode (just enough slack to get
the viewfinder to my eye). This was on a touring bike on roads, of course,
and I was young and didn't know any better. But actually I found it not
uncomfortable, and the camera was immediately available. I think it is
preferable to any kind of pack on your back. YMMV.

I still do this if I am out on the tourer or Audax
(http://www.sjscycles.com/audax.html), taking 'bike touring' shots (e.g. to
illustrate possible articles - but I haven't tried to publish any, yet.
Yet.) Most of these are taken on wide angle (35mm or 28mm) and often
monochrome.

On these short rides (up to 50 miles, maybe a bit more) I am a saddlebag
man. I have a Carradice (http://www.carradice.co.uk/) Camper Longflap,
cotton duck bag. usually camera gear is either in Camera Care Systems
(http://www.ccscentre.co.uk) bags or in spare clothing. I really don't like
handlebar bags, and find them impractical on the Audax (SIS gearing, the
cables get in the way).

Out on a 'fast' bike, I take one of the XAs, I have an XA1 and an XA2. Will
probably get another little compact, probably an XA. Only limitation is
having one lens. Sometimes I take both XAs.

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk