Re: [OM] biking with an OM

Subject: Re: [OM] biking with an OM
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:20:05 -0000
Eric Jackson wrote:

> what are some good techniques that you guys used to
> keep your camera secure while riding a bike?

Assuming you mean a REAL bike, with a 1 man-power engine, rather than
a 2-wheeled car.....

When touring I like to ride with a handlebar mounted bag. The
valuables (principally money, passport, tissue paper and sticking
plasters) go in there, and there is usually a clear pocket on the top
for a map which is very useful. The modern ones seem to have a neat
quick-release which is secure but easy to remove when you want to. So
you can leave the bike parked up outside (but still in sight of
course) with the heavy luggage on and go into a shop or bar with the
valuables.

I did a couple of tours last year with an OM body and 35-70 zoom - the
f/3.6 which I think is the biggest and heaviest at that focal length.
No room for anything else in the bar bag though. It was really
convenient - could get the camera out without even getting off the
bike if necessary. Now I've got the 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 which is much
smaller and lighter, which will be a blessing when riding up the Col
du Tourmalet in September.

Caveat - I like hard tyres/tires and smooth tarmac. Rough trails may
be a different matter, although I did a fair few rough miles in Spain
with the bar bag and no ill effects. Some folks don't like bar bags,
but I think they are wonderful.

In velo veritas
John