Re: [OM] Older Battery Eating OM 4's? Serial Nos.

Subject: Re: [OM] Older Battery Eating OM 4's? Serial Nos.
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:27:01 +0000 (UTC)
John,

I have to comment here. I own an OM4 with the old circuit, which doesn't
suffer from the dreaded battery-drain problem. It is well over 14 months
since I changed batteries, and despite actually having used the camera
frequently in those 14 months, the battery is still going strong....

The thing I do on that OM4 - which is what I do on the OM2s/p's also - is
to turn the shutter-speed to a "mechanical" setting (i.e. one of the red
numbers) when not using it. Just like I would move the mode switch on the
OM2n to "off" when it's not in use (yeah yeah, I know that the "red
numbers" do not turn off the camera entirely).

If my experience with the OM4 is typical, then I guess it is possible to
live with the "battery drain". However I do not know if it is typical....

Also, I was considering....how hard would it be for a skilled
professional such as yourself to fit an on-off switch somewhere on the OM4
body? Just something disconnecting the battery alltogether from the
circuitry in the camera? I dunno how much space is left inside the
OM4's - never opened one yet. Just a thought...

Best regards

--thomas

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, John Hermanson wrote:

> Unless the 4 has had a 4T circuit installed, they all eat batteries.  get
> the seller to turn the battery test on.  If it shuts off automatically in 30
> seconds, it has the  latest (and last) circuit.
>
> John  Hermanson
> ___________________________________
> http://www.zuiko.com
> Camtech, Olympus Service since 1977.
> 21 South Lane,  Huntington NY 11743-4714
> Phone/fax 631-424-2121
> Free Olympus Manuals: 1-800-221-3000

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen