Re: [OM] snowwhite [no attached file]

Subject: Re: [OM] snowwhite [no attached file]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:40:09 +0000
FYI:
I also went to the site. Based on what I know about the worm from other, independent AV sources (McAfee and Norton), this site's information about the worm and the links to other AV sites that can help clean out an infected machine are completely legitimate. In fact it's a good source of this information!

I did note here and from one other source that the worm will also send the "Snow White" emails out to addresses found on web pages. Thus, if someone not on this mail hits the OM mail list web page, and has an infected machine, it will send a "Snow White" email to this list. This now explains why I've been unable to match the source mail server of some of them to at least an ambiguity group of list members who might have infected machines. Further, it also very likely explains another case that matched three list members why they (the list members) all came up clean. I'm not talking individual email addresses but SMTP mail servers which can serve a multitude of individual email addresses. The mail server is as far as you can trace it unless the server logs all the mail and you have a copy of the log.

-- John