Re: [OM] Wedding photos with OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Wedding photos with OMs
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Mar 2001 17:07:30 +1000
John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> Our son is getting married this coming Saturday in a traditional

Your *son*?  Do remember to eventually put the camera *away* and enjoy
the occasion!

> two lenses on my 4T body. I am tempted to take only my 24/2.8 and 85/2
> lenses and shoot 400 ISO Ilford Delta film using my F280 flash where
> necessary.

OK, I like your lens choice.   The photographer at my wedding did a
*great* job getting in close with a wide-angle for the candids, those
shots are about my favourite ones from the whole event.

A fast 85mm is my "If you were marooned on a desert island and had to
pick *one*..." lens.

Are you familiar with Delta 400?  The 100 and 400 speed tabular-grain
films (i.e. T-Max and Delta) can be very cantankerous in uncontrolled
lighting.  (Many people reserve these films for studio use only).

If you've had a lot of experience with Delta, by all means go for it,
but if you're new to Delta, I'd recommend HP5+, or Delta 3200.

If you're not doing your own processing, then use XP2 or T400CN; these
films *excel* at weddings.

> Are there any comments as to what other list members have shot at family
> weddings? I am not the official photog but nevertheless I would like to
> capture some worthwhile shots. How does one hide a fanny pack under a
> tuxedo on a 155 pound frame .......... any special cummerbunds for
> photographers?

I took 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 to the last wedding I attended (New Year's
Eve), and my Yashica TLR (big mistake, the wedding was at sunset at a
park the bank of the river, and the bridal party had the sun behind
them.  Can you spell "lens-flare", boys and girls?).

Last weekend I attended a christening.  I took my 50/1.8 and 75-150/4 on
my OM2n.  I had to push my HP5+ film to 800 to get any use out of the
zoom inside the (very well lit in daytime!) church.

--cjb.

--
| Christopher J. Biggs -|- R & D Software Engineer --  Stallion Technologies |
| chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -|- If it isn't broken, I just haven't touched it yet |