Re: [OM] My KC-135 TOPE1 experience (kinda long)

Subject: Re: [OM] My KC-135 TOPE1 experience (kinda long)
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 07:40:15 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> doesn't the stress the airframe? and doing it repeatedly? wow... gary,
> comments?
>
> /Acer V

Sure.  But airplanes are designed to be used.  This service may not be as
severe as commuter service in turbulence with landings and takeoffs
("cycles") every 55 minutes.  I'm sure that NASA is keeping track of the
cumulative loads on the airplane and has an airframe life analysis ongoing.
And remember, the airplane is lightly loaded for these trips; just Mark and
a dozen or so students with their experiments - not the belly full of fuel
the airplane was designed to carry.

Gary (I'd go in a minute - might break my record of never actually puking
inflight, though I've been a little green a couple of times when I didn't
have the yoke in my own hands.)