[OM] Chargers and max voltage

Subject: [OM] Chargers and max voltage
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:28:13 -0800
> ....However you charge your cells, charge just before use, not after use (i.e.
> store cells in an energy-depleted state)...

Eric, I have to respectfully disagree with the last part of this
statement. Since NiCads lose charge over time I agree that they should
be charged before use. However you may damage the cells if they are
stored in a depleted state. Remember that for most practical purposes we
are not talking about individual cells but an array of cells in series.
In an ideal world these cells would discharge at the same rate and reach
zero potential at the same time but in reality this doesn't happen. So
if one cell reaches zero potential before the others in the series it
will be subjected to reverse "charge" with bad result. You end up with
one dead cell and a worthless battery pack.

mike