Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:39:08 -0800
hey to everyone,
my name's eric and i've been recently introduced in the last year to the world of OM photography and the obsession that it becomes. over christmas i went to sedona, az and used my dad's OM-2 and was hooked ever since. i don't have a camera of my own but before the summer comes i would really like to invest in something nice. I was wondering what some good advice would be for a guy that wanted possibly to have a small side career in photography about a good camera to start off with? i am interested in something that will grow with my level of experience and knowledge so i don't have to go buy something new in 10 years. i've come to the conclusion that the OM-2 is the way to go. what do you all think? thanks for any advice.

Eric,

Depends on how much money you want to spend. I would buy a late model like the OM4Ti preferably new. B&H Photo(on the web) is a good place to buy, honest with good prices. That is your most reliable option. Many people on the list have OM cameras that are functioning after more than 20 years. Since you intend this as a long time interest I would try, if possible, to get it new. You can use it manually metered like the OM3T or have the convenience of automatic metering. The spot meter feature is worth its weight in gold.

If that is too much money consider a used OM4T or OM4Ti(not the plain OM4 most of which had battery life problems) from a reliable company like Keh who will take it back if there is something you don't like about it. Keh is also on the web. Just remember that someone else has used up part of the lifetime of the camera even if they have not abused it. (People leave them baking in cars for days at a time, expose them to dirt and salt that gets in the works, bang them, drop them, disassemble them and reassemble them without training, leave them in warm damp places so that fungus can grow in them, and on and on.)

Almost everyone on the list who bids on eBay has been burned. People are not always honest about condition. Many of the people who use eBay already own several Olympus cameras and lenses. It is irritating, but no disaster if they end up not satisfied with a particular purchase.

Less money would be to get an OM1N or OM2N, also from a place like Keh. Plan on reserving some money to get it serviced even if it works when you get it. Great cameras, but old. Even the best ones will leak light if their foam has not been replaced. The battery

I think the cheapest strategy would be to talk your dad into buying an OM4T(Because his photographic skill deserves it! He doesn't want that old camera to fail on him. A new camera will rejuvenate his pictures. He should pass on his legacy to his son. ) and get him to give you the OM2 in exchange for the idea. That way you can use your money to get the camera serviced and buy an extra lens for it.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA