Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:37:03 -0600
I'll jump in with my four cents (lots of opinions).  First, welcome to the
list. You'll find it a friendly place.

If it was me, in your situation, I would buy an OM-G.  If you're patient and
watch and watch ebay, you can find a nice OM-G with a standard 50/1.8 lens
for $50 or less.  The OM-G does aperture preferred automatic just like the
OM-2 and takes almost all the same accessories as the rest of the OM line
(the exception is focusing screens, which is pretty obscure).  As you expand
your finances and your OM collection (which you will <g>), you can add
another, nicer body.  All the other pieces, lenses, etc, work great (and you
can share with your Dad).

If the bug doesn't hit as hard as you expect, then, worst case, you're out
$50, best case, you put it back on ebay and get what you paid.

If it does hit, and hit hard, then you'll have an excellent backup body.  My
one suggestion is that if you buy a G, download the manual, as it has a
couple quirks (manual mode, for example), that make the manual worthwhile.

Now, having said that, I'm going to make a statement that may get me
permenently banned from the list.

I don't think the OM family is your best choice.  While we all use and love
the equipment, it is at the end of its life.  There are not going to be new
features, bodies, lenses, etc.  What you see is what you get.  As much as I
like OM (and you'll soon discover from the list that I may have the
zuikoholism disease worse than anyone), I wouldn't recommend it to you.
Look at something else - Canon, Nikon, etc. for a long-life choice.

Flame suit on.

Tom