Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:13:23 -0500
Most older OM  bodies are still very serviceable, though not by Olympus
directly.  The only SLR bodies they still service are the 3Ti, 4T, 4Ti and
2000.
I recently started an OM-1 body that some lady got  from her grandfather for
use in photography class.  I doubt he ever had it in useable condition. He
either got it through ebay or from a yard sale or a $1 junk box at some
photo fair.
The shutter was jammed and it at first seemed like a regular overhaul would
cover it.   Pressure plate was missing, inside of camera  (where film goes)
was covered in dust and oily fingerprints, like it had been laying somewhere
for a long time with the back open.  When I unjammed the shutter or atleast
got the first curtain to move, I found the second curtain completely ripped
out of the bar.  Battery box crusty with battery leakage, and heavy prism
corrosion.
I offered to buy it for parts, but I think the customer will probably try to
send it somewhere else.  A paperweight.  Serial number is 569649, black
OM-1.  Don't buy it.

John  Hermanson
http://www.zuiko.com
Camtech, Olympus Service since 1977.
21 South Lane,  Huntington NY 11743-4714
Phone/fax 631-424-2121
Free Olympus Manuals: 1-800-221-3000